Subject: Communication Technology 12
Teacher Name: Ryan Bezeau, Rebecca Fisk
Phone Number: (902) 275-2700
Communications Technology is a course that involves using a hands-on approach to electronic, print, and web communication concepts. It provides all students with hands-on activities and introduces them to a broad spectrum of technological concepts, both in traditional media and new media. By the end of the course, students are able to use a range of technological tools, processes, and applications, integrate communications technology with other academic disciplines, design and create communication materials that solve technological problems, and explain the consequences of technology and how it affects society.
General Curriculum Outcomes/Topics/Modules:
- Fundamentals of Communication Tech
Assessment: A student’s mark is made up of the following:
a) Course Work – this is marked out of 100% using the following weighting factors:
i) Projects 50%
ii) Assignments 25%
iii) Final Assessment 25%
Communication Technology is largely based on activities to promote experiential learning. Consequently, the classroom atmosphere must be “safe” for students in two senses of the term. In the physical sense, workplace safety standards must be established and followed at all times. In another sense, the classroom must provide a psychologically safe environment in which students are free to try new, demanding tasks. In experiential learning, mistakes serve as stepping stones to mastery. To develop the self-confidence to learn from their mistakes, students need plenty of time to perform tasks and refine techniques.
We will foster a safe environment by holding ourselves and our students to a high standard of respectful behaviour. Students need to learn by example, not just how to handle tools properly but also how to manage emotions and relationships effectively.
“Safety first” is the mantra of Communication Technology. Before beginning any skill-building activity, I will review safety standards and procedures. I will demonstrate and model safety instructions over and over until I am confident that everyone in the class is routinely following them.
Students must wear appropriate PPE while in the Skilled Trades Centre.
Safety & Respect, What do these look like in class?
- Wear appropriate PPE
- Safety glasses if/when using tools
- Do not distract people while they are using tools
- Audible (i.e. yelling)
- Physical (i.e. touching)
- No horse play
- No drugs
- Focus on the task at hand
- Use appropriate tools for the job
- You wouldn’t use a compound mitre saw to sharpen a pencil
- Inspect tools prior to using them. If broken in any way report to Mr. Bezeau so he can get a replacement.
- Clean up your work area & tools at end of each class/completion of task
- Follow safe use procedures for all tools
- Follow fire and lock down procedures
- Report any unsafe behaviour to Mr. Bezeau
- Be supportive/nice/helpful to others in the class
- No hurtful language (written or spoken)
- Be an active listener (during conversations and instructional time)
- No messaging/talking while someone is addressing the class
- Don’t be glued to your phone
- Be on time/don’t disappear or leave early
- If you were talking to a staff member please have them write you a note
- You are considered late if you arrive after we start the class (a couple minutes after the bell)
- You must have permission from Mr. Bezeau or Ms. Fisk to leave the classroom
- Only students registered in Communication Tech should be in our classroom.
- Reasonable “breaks”
- Not every class
- No more than 10 minutes
- The cafeteria is not the bathroom, don’t get confused
- Use the water fountain/cooler outside of the skilled trades classroom.
- If a tool breaks while you are using it please tell Mr. Bezeau so that the tool can be fixed or replaced in a timely manor.
- Use tools in the manner they are meant to be used (i.e. don’t bend tape measures backwards)
- Use only the tools from your tool belt & make sure the tools go back in your belt at the end of class. (all belts and tools are numbered)
- Complete assigned tasks by given deadlines.